Skip to main content

MONDAY JULY 31: SHAKES

 Good Morning,

Small entry today documenting that yes, last night, i did experience my first ever earthquake. I thought the first time i was around to feel one I would be terrified...But that was not the case. It was 10:00 p.m., I was cozy in bed, and then for 5 seconds the room vibrated. The bed jostled, the earth let out a low grumble. I thought,"that must be an earthquake." And then I went to sleep.

I am lucky to live on the 9th floor of the residence halls, as the higher you are in the building the less intense the shake is. The top floors wobble rather than shake, similar to the feeling of being on a boat.

I feel like maybe experiencing this earthquake is like...a sign that i've been here for a while. Long enough to feel the earth move. That's far too deep and spiritual. It's just an earthquake.

neat first experience.

Love,

Ellie


The view from outside my window. If you look closely you can see the mountains across the harbor.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME WEARY TRAVELERS

       To whom it may concern,       Welcome, first of all, to this little project. A diary of sorts...perhaps a place where one may find solace in the suffering, joy, and mundane that it is to be a human living in this year (2023 to be specific).      I write to you in my bed, which sits next to my tiny desk, within this student accommodation building located in Wellington, New Zealand. We start this journey here. It is my third week in Wellington, my second week of classes at Massey University. We will continue this journey together, a documentation of a different culture from an American Perspective.  I want to set up some ground rules for this blog before beginning: 1. Posts will be infrequent; at my own pace. This will not turn into a chore. 2. Posts will not be eloquent, or long, or even perhaps make sense. One day there may be a poem to read, the next I may just share a picture, the next week there may be an essay availa...

Update: hi, sorry i missed you

 big exhale. A long and difficult morning full of tears of both joy and maybe tears of fear or sadness or something else i can't put my finger on. currently stationed in Birch harbor Maine, typing furiously because I've been dreading reconnecting with the rest of the world. Sitting in a chair a woman died in a year ago. It's comfortable. Clouds roll in and out over the water. It's 9:38 am.  Sometimes change that has been planned happens so fast you barely even see it happen. Ploop! Here I am in paradise! Ploop! Suddenly the brief vacation that Mom and I were having turns into an actual life I'm living. Woah! I don't wan't to necessarily slow down, I just need to catch my breath. As expected, the last two weeks of school destroyed my immune system. I can't believe humans weren't made to be working nonstop from 5:30-8pm every day. I'm sniffling and coughing a bit but that seems to be the only symptoms of this slight cold. Recap: had an amazing resi...

SEPTEMBER 6: HOO-RAH-RAH

I'm on mid-semester break and everyone back home has their first day of classes tomorrow.  Homesickness attacks in many forms, and when you're in a different culture you start to miss things that you maybe never even LIKED when you were back home.  For example, I never really LIKED bratwurst. Brats were always tough for me to eat growing up with my fucked up teeth, they never cooled down and always burned my mouth, and sometimes the flavor was boring.  Man, I could really go for a brat right now. But the biggest thing that I never realized I would miss was school spirit. UW-Stout isn't exactly known for overwhelming school spirit. We don't have striped overalls that we wear to our college football games. Some students will wear branded apparel (hell, I have a Stout baseball cap I wear every so often.) we go to our school events, we get the merch and listen to the outdoor concerts.  None of that happens here. No merch, no huge events, no super intense sports games. Sc...