Skip to main content

AUGUST 7: SORE SHOULDER/EATING CHALK

 Happy Monday All, 

Relieved to say that today has been marginally better than the last couple days. The weather was nice (overcast but pleasant temp of 55 degrees and some wind), the shower this morning was the perfect temperature, had good coffee with a new friend (yay for that considering the last post), and will be eating leftover fish for dinner.

Also, my dinner last night was phenomenal. Zucchini, rice with sriracha, and tarakihi (which is a fish native to Australia and New Zealand, oh and its also called a Jackass Morwong). Later I had some Banoffee pie ice cream for dessert and called it a night with sleepy time tea made possible by -my favorite- the electric kettle. 


It was a beautiful dinner and definetly raised my spirits, I really do love cooking.

Yesterday I also got a very needed pick me up by petting the campus cat Pocket (her name is pocket and it breaks my heart) as i was going to and coming back from studio. Pocket reminds me that when I get home that I will have a kitty of my own. Cats are really great, they give you unconditional love and attention, a sense of purpose. Pets are really important for mental health, I think. 

And of course Here's a picture of pocket. She goes in and out through the sliding doors at the student center and they feed her and everything its a very good time.

anyways, things are going well. Lots of things on my to do list to attend do. 

And damn, I really need to try a meat pie.

Love with all my heart, 

Ellie

P.S. (relating to the title) I slept funny last night and have a sore shoulder and This evening I fell down a rabbit hole of ASMR videos, the ones where they eat chalk make my teeth hurt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME WEARY TRAVELERS

       To whom it may concern,       Welcome, first of all, to this little project. A diary of sorts...perhaps a place where one may find solace in the suffering, joy, and mundane that it is to be a human living in this year (2023 to be specific).      I write to you in my bed, which sits next to my tiny desk, within this student accommodation building located in Wellington, New Zealand. We start this journey here. It is my third week in Wellington, my second week of classes at Massey University. We will continue this journey together, a documentation of a different culture from an American Perspective.  I want to set up some ground rules for this blog before beginning: 1. Posts will be infrequent; at my own pace. This will not turn into a chore. 2. Posts will not be eloquent, or long, or even perhaps make sense. One day there may be a poem to read, the next I may just share a picture, the next week there may be an essay availa...

Update: hi, sorry i missed you

 big exhale. A long and difficult morning full of tears of both joy and maybe tears of fear or sadness or something else i can't put my finger on. currently stationed in Birch harbor Maine, typing furiously because I've been dreading reconnecting with the rest of the world. Sitting in a chair a woman died in a year ago. It's comfortable. Clouds roll in and out over the water. It's 9:38 am.  Sometimes change that has been planned happens so fast you barely even see it happen. Ploop! Here I am in paradise! Ploop! Suddenly the brief vacation that Mom and I were having turns into an actual life I'm living. Woah! I don't wan't to necessarily slow down, I just need to catch my breath. As expected, the last two weeks of school destroyed my immune system. I can't believe humans weren't made to be working nonstop from 5:30-8pm every day. I'm sniffling and coughing a bit but that seems to be the only symptoms of this slight cold. Recap: had an amazing resi...

SEPTEMBER 6: HOO-RAH-RAH

I'm on mid-semester break and everyone back home has their first day of classes tomorrow.  Homesickness attacks in many forms, and when you're in a different culture you start to miss things that you maybe never even LIKED when you were back home.  For example, I never really LIKED bratwurst. Brats were always tough for me to eat growing up with my fucked up teeth, they never cooled down and always burned my mouth, and sometimes the flavor was boring.  Man, I could really go for a brat right now. But the biggest thing that I never realized I would miss was school spirit. UW-Stout isn't exactly known for overwhelming school spirit. We don't have striped overalls that we wear to our college football games. Some students will wear branded apparel (hell, I have a Stout baseball cap I wear every so often.) we go to our school events, we get the merch and listen to the outdoor concerts.  None of that happens here. No merch, no huge events, no super intense sports games. Sc...